Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ah Mothers Day

Well another mothers day is here and gone. I think my wife enjoyed the present and cards the kids gave her. I got up early got her flowers and also her favorite doughnuts. Other than that I ended up having most of my time taken up by a game called Plants vs Zombies. Its a somewhat strategy game where you plant...plants that defend your home from hordes of various types of zombies. What can I say I am a sucker for a Zombie game. This one is entertaining and funny but also a challenge. Definitely has replay value and it was fairly cheap. On the whole it was worth the money. Oh the graphics are done cartoony so no looking for high detail realistic uber graphics. Thats fine by me because the game play is fun.
I will always take game play over graphics for any game. Thats why many of the classic games are hella enjoyable. One of my top favs was ultima underworld. It has decent graphics but more than that it had a deep story and it was fun to play. The game engine was user friendly. I still play the game.
I think there is this weird need for game programmers to always go for the fantastic graphics in a game but then forget to make it fun to play. Maybe I am just old and this is a get off my lawn moment. Don't get me wrong I love fantastic graphics in a game, but if the game play sucks I am not gonna want to play it no matter how cool it looks. Some of the games have controls so complicated you have to have a key attached to your controller so you know what your doin. OR sometimes the controls make no sense and make you bend your fingers in unatural ways.
I also picked up Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich. So far it is a great little comic book hero game with 3D graphics from 2003. Unfortunately the game keeps just shutting down on me. The parts I played were fun...mostly point and click interface and it has a build your own hero feature which I have avoided only to prevent me spending a good chunk of time on it.

So it was a plesent day...which is what I needed because going to work is going to be hell this week...again. I should have gotten out a long time ago from there. Ah well hindsight and all that. Look for more Fae'th this week and another video project...probably another lonely trooper. GOtta strike while the creative iron is hot/

No comments: