Friday, May 8, 2009

AH Friday now time to keep up my Geek Cred...

So tonight I am off to see the latest Star Trek film. I do not high expectations and plan on just going to the film and looking at it like any other film...yeah right . The old school trekkie in me will probably creep up 15 min into the film and yell "get off my lawn damn kid versions of the classic characters.
This could really go one of two ways. I will either be happily surprised like I was with Batman Begins. I am a devout Tim Burton fan so when I heard of the reimagining of the series I was skeptical to say the least. Especially when I saw the Tank they called a Batmobile. But when I saw every thing within the context of the story and the world the story took place in I was very happy and throughly enjoyed the film...and of course after.
Then there are remakes / or reboots that do not work. For instance the Day the Earth Stood Still . That movie did not even resemble the original save for the two alien character names. You could barely even understand the Famouse line that stops the planet devestating robot, as well as allows you to pick up the proper necronomicon. The movie really would have been better off as a ScI Fi movie by itself rather than trying to cash in on the cult following of the original. The Cleese Cameo was vericool though.
So I am off to see an enjoyable movie I hope. I do like JJ Abrams style. He made me enjoy CLoverfield alot more than I should have and Lost keeps you guessing if not dizzy. I also like the actor playing young Spock. He rules as Sylar, when the script actually gives him a chance to be badass instead of Whiny little bastard child, and he definitely has the Vulcan'isms down from what I can tell in the trailers. Look for a review leater tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah I am still a Trek Geek. MAy even try to revitalize the trek short story series my friends and I wrote back in High School.

No comments: