Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Quoth the Raven....Your defending yourself you coward

Now the Raven has been done many, many, many times as a film but I think for me none are more memorable than the Roger Corman version of the Raven. I remember first seeing this film on beta when I was a kid and I enjoyed as much now as I did then. Unfortunately I was not able to obtain a copy of the film on DVD. It was limited print and I missed out on the limit. Sure I could pay an extraordinary amount for the DVD on e-bay but not worth the price people are asking for. I lucked out thought recently and a friend of mine borrowed me a copy that they had and after watching it again I wanted to share some thoughts about it.
This movie is the first one to feature Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff on the screen at the same time. I can only imagine how big the movie must have been when it first came out. This was like the all stars of horror movies. Now toss in the up and coming talented Jack Nicholson with the beautiful Hazel Court and Olive STurgess and you got yourself a fun movie.
This is a comedy not so much in the vein of say scarey movie but more along the lines of Clue only not quite so slap stick. There is a lot of chemistry between the stars and its hard to say who exactly is stealing the spot light when the three titans of horror were together in the same scene.
I love the pacing of this movie alot more than the Terror and enjoy the subtly of the humor more in this than Comedy of Terrors. Don't get me Wrong comedy is another entertaining classic but its not the same as the Raven.
The DVD cleans up the print the best it can and there are only a few spots where it is a bit blurry. Also the joy of seeing it for the first time in letter Box filled me with delight. All too often the older movies fell victim to pan and scan and were never able to escape it. The problem with that is the viewer misses out on seeing just how expansive the sets were for these older films.
The movie is also worth seeing the young Jack Nicholson. Already perfecting his perfect crazy face at this young age. You may at first not quite recognize him but once he gets his smile on you go...yep that's jack.
I also love the voice in general of the three principle characters. Vincent's tone, Peter Lorre's classic sniviling and Boris Karloff's classic voice all help keep the dialog interesting.
All in all a great film and can truely be called a classic. Definitely worth a watch.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I first saw that movie in high school. I want to say my American Authors teacher played it for us on tape. I loved it immediately. Once Peter Lorre in Raven form starts complaining to Vincent Price and you realize that it's a comedy, and funny at that, it's too much to not enjoy.

You say it sells big on eBay, hmm? I think I've got two copies of that film on DVD. Maybe anyway. Might have to check on that...

Unknown said...

Going with 'You don't look in the right spots' regarding the price of the DVD. Saw 'The Raven'/'Comedy of Terrors' disc for $10 online. It's the re-release wave of double features from 2003ish. I think I have the original solo releases and the double feature re-releases.

I'm like that. And they streeted at $10 so, why not?

MovieMan said...

I would definitely say I do not look in the right spots lol that's what I have friends such as yourself for :D